Inland Waterway Transport (IWT) is used very little for continental transport, even though there is potential. We estimate that 67.5 million tonnes of the cargo currently transported by road is also suited for intermodal transport along the existing waterway corridors. Of course, depending on load factors, empty sailings, etc.
To tap into the continental market for IWT, we need to offer strategic (mid and long term) and immediate advantages (cost reduction) to the shipper. Efficiency in the operational flows needs to be enhanced and handling costs reduced. Logistics service providers need to cooperate with shippers to bundle cargo.
The lack of fitting and competitive intermodal transport units needs to be addressed. The 45’ pallet wide high cube short sea shipping container seems the most appropriate intermodal unit for continental container transport. Containers are considerably faster to handle than bulk transport. This reduces handling costs and time.
• Example of BCTN / Danser: Hub & Spokes and Consolidation model.
Investments in superstructure and infrastructure are required and origin-destination connections to industrial areas that are not directly connected to waterways need to be made.
There are different perspectives towards using IWT for continental transport (shipper, terminal, operator, service provider). Partnerships that meet the needs of these different perspectives are a determinant factor for a modal shift.
We need to create new kinds of operations between systems that go further than only directing services towards ports. Systems need to be consolidated in order to be successful.
- Presentation on continental market - PLATINA2 Final Event 04/02/2016
- Presentation on how to attract new markets on the Danube - PLATINA 2 Final Event 04/02/2016
- Comparative analysis of existing modal shift studies
- Macro analysis of market potential in the continental cargo market
- Outline of market organisation and structure for continental transport chains
- Market transfer conditions analysis for promising market segments
- Inland waterway market transfer roadmap
- Presentation at Brussels Advisory Board 18/06/2015