The innovation agenda meets the need for consolidation and coordination of research & development in the field of inland waterway transport. Continuous research and development in shipbuilding (e.g. vessel design, use of materials, hydrodynamics), ship machinery (e.g. engines, fuels, alternative propulsion, ship equipment), innovations in logistics (loading units, transhipment equipment), but also infrastructure maintenance is needed to maintain inland navigation’s competitive edge in these fields. The atomised structure and the size of the inland waterway market are however barriers to the establishment of a critical mass for dedicated research & development in the field of inland waterway transport that is triggered by the market.
Description of work:
- Establishment of an inclusive platform on research and innovation for inland waterway transport
- Report on industry innovation meetings
- Formulation of research and innovation roadmap for inland waterway transport
- Presentation Naiades Dialogue Strasbourg 04/12/2014: approach to speed up Research and Innovation
- Presentation at Brussels Advisory Board 18/06/2015
- Online survey on the evaluation of users’ needs on Financial Instruments