Continuous maintenance is key for competitive waterway infrastructure. In many countries, the small “everyday” maintenance work does not get the attention it needs. However, there is a lot of potential to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of waterway maintenance.
PLATINA2 set up a European expert platform for waterway maintenance knowledge exchange on inland waterway maintenance on a European scale and prepared a “Good Practice Manual on Inland Waterway Maintenance” for waterway administrations.
The focus of this manual is on Fairway maintenance (navigational) of free-flowing rivers. It
- illustrates an improved fairway maintenance cycle.
- exchanges dedicated knowledge across countries and waterways in core network corridors.
- analyses examples from practice and identifies “lessons learned”.
- develops recommendations for efficient fairway maintenance.
- further topics have been identified that need to be discussed, e.g. lock maintenance, long-term analysis of measures, interplay of structural & maintenance measures…, listed in the manual .
- parts of the manual will be further developed within a study on the “Specification of Good Navigation Status” (1/2016 – 12/2017)